Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Journey To become an Electrical Engg..

In the year 2004 when I gave all my competitive exams I didn't knew that I will clear almost every one of them with a good marks.Even I had not made my mind that in which field I shall opt my degree course.

So when I googled
about Electrical Engg. I got the defination "Electrical engineering, sometimes referred to as electrical and electronic engineering, is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism.Although I did not like the term electromagnetism, as in 12th class also, there were few topics regarding electromagnetism which I could not understand but still I didn't knew what made my mind to opt for this branch.My interest was in the Power System area of Electrical Engg.Although there are many topics without which Electrical Engg. is incomplete such as Control Systems,Electromagnetic Theory ,Basic Electrical Engg.,Machine Design,etc...

This will always be a part of my education.I will always understand how electricity is supplied to our homes,how a transformer works,how a motor rotates,how a generator supplies energy,open circuit,short ckt. and last but not the least economics(cost is always involved while designing stuff).???
So, how does this compare to other engineering disciplines?Well we have mechanical engg,who always study how to resolve forces,how to design a machine ,how a boiler works and all those stuffs..Also there is Automobile dept. which is somewhat similar to Mech,as applied to the design, manufacture and operation of motorcycles, automobiles,buses and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems.
All these majors start off on the same bases then move on into their own disciplines later on in the undergraduate courses.
Apart from that there are also IT,Computer and Electonics enggs.This is a whole different set of engineers. Computer engineers can design computer chips and design softwares same like that the IT professionals also do.Electronic enggs deal with electronics devices,CRO,work on diff. digital ckts,TV,antenna etc etc...Frankly speaking electronic engg. is considered to be at the same level as electrical enggs.:)

I'm sure they do more than that but I'm just giving a simple idea of what they do. :)

I just thought I'd give a few definitions to what engineers do. :)

No comments: